MDJH 2020-2021 Generic Supply List
- Loose Leaf paper
- Duotangs – different colours
- HB Pencils
- Exercise books, preferably no coil
- Liquid paper
- Coloured leads
- Graphing paper
- Math Set
- 1 inch binders for the 5 Core Subjects
- French-English Dictionary
- 555 French Verbs or Bescherelle (French Immersion students)
- Dividers for binders
- A positive attitude!
Please note that individual teachers may also add to this list.
The 2019-2020 school year is officially drawing to a close. Here is an updated timetable for students and families:
- Friday, June 5 – the last day for online classes. Teaching to classes will end on this day, although teachers may maintain contact with individual students where circumstances dictate.
- Friday, June 12 – the last day to accept any outstanding work. This is work that you are currently completing for assessment purposes.
- The week of June 15 – 19 – families will drop off Chromebooks and textbooks/library books/school materials at prearranged times.
- Report cards will be released on Monday, June 22nd. They will only be available through PowerSchool – they will not be printed and mailed out. If you do not have your PowerSchool login information, please contact Ms. Pike at email@example.com.
- There will be no Summer School this year.
Grade 9 students – we are looking for you to leave your mark on MDJH! Check out your Google Classroom for information on adding your name to the digital graffiti wall!
Don’t forget – Mme. Quann is looking for your baby picture by Monday, May 25th. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
And set a reminder for the Grade 9 Google Meet School Leaving Celebration – Thursday, May 28th! You will get a link to the Meet in an email on Thursday morning.
Grade 9 Students of Macdonald Drive Junior High,
The staff of MDJH would love for you to join us on Thursday, May 28, for a Google Meet Celebration!
We know it’s been a difficult end to your MDJH experience, and we are disappointed we could not go ahead with the Leaving Carnival that we were all looking forward to. That doesn’t mean we can’t show you how much we care and how much we will miss you! So we wanted to make sure we honoured the Grade 9 class of 2020 before you left to embark on your high school adventures!
Please join us in a Google Meet with your classmates and your teachers. We have a video to share with you, we have a baby photos presentation (always awesome!), and we want to have some fun and play Kahoot!
In order to accommodate the large number of Grade 9 students, we will be offering two celebration sessions, divided up by homerooms. Please note which time your homeroom is scheduled to attend!
9-1, 9-3, 9-7, 9-9: Thursday, 1:00pm
9-2, 9-4, 9-5, 9-6, 9-8: Thursday, 2:30pm
The Google Meet Link will be sent out in an email Thursday morning.
Hope to see you all there!
Staff of Macdonald Drive Junior High
With the date of the grade 9 carnival approaching, we would like to have the slideshow presentation for our students who are leaving ready to view the evening of Thursday, May 28th. Grade 9 students are asked to submit a baby picture or picture of them as a younger child for the slideshow. Please submit a picture to email@example.com by Monday May 25th.
Did you lose these glasses? They were found at the school during an outside clean up. If they are yours, please contact Ms. Pike at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2019-2020 yearbook is complete. MDJH is a very busy school, and the 750 pictures included in the yearbook reflect this. There are many moments and memories captured in this book in spite of our school’s early closure.
ALL MDJH STUDENTS from every homeroom (7-9) are included in the yearbook. It is not a book for grade 9 students only. The grade 9 students do get to include a bio with their picture which includes a quote, a favorite memory and what they are most known for, These are included again this year for every grade 9 student who completed and submitted one. It is a nice keepsake for all junior high students that highlight school events and memories and these books will be delivered next fall for distribution..
Ordering of yearbooks (You can now place your order online)
- The website to visit to order online is ybpay.lifetouch.ca and the school code is 11573720.
- If you have any questions or problems ordering, please contact Ms. Colette Quann at email@example.com
During these unprecedented times the Newfoundland and Labrador English School District (NLESD) has continued to provide services and resources that assist students in managing their mental health and wellness while classes are suspended.
On April 7th, NLESD launched the telephone counselling component of its Volunteer Guidance Services Initiative. This service has seen both parents and students reach out to our team for support in navigating through these challenging times.
To expand upon this initiative, our team of volunteer school guidance counselors will be providing further support through online Social Emotional Learning Sessions. These will be facilitated using Google Meet. The sessions will be live events open to all students. To access these SEL sessions, students must log in to their NLESD Google account.
These Social and Emotional Learning events are not counselling sessions rather they are live group gatherings for the purpose of promoting positive mental health and wellbeing. A schedule of upcoming fun/helpful sessions will be posted on the Well-Being section of the Learning at Home website at https://learningathome.nlesd.ca/well-being/guidance-services so that users can easily view presentation times, obtain session information, and join as they wish.
First live session is Tuesday May 12th, 11:00 am (NST)
Calling all students! We want your family stories about what is happening in Newfoundland and Labrador during the Covid-19 pandemic! Here are some sample questions to get you started on your home oral history interview. You can answer these yourself, or sit down with a family member and interview them. Don’t forget to start your interview by spelling out your full name, and including the date of the interview. You can record your interview in any format (audio or video) on your smartphone or digital device, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. If it is a large file, you can use the free www.wetransfer.com website to send it to the same email address, or post it on YouTube and send us the link.
All submissions welcome, including songs, recitations, poetry, or music!
- Can you describe the community where you live?
- When did you first learn about the coronavirus? What were your initial reactions?
- How did your community respond to the virus? What closures, restrictions, or safeguards were put in place?
- Describe any events you witnessed that express your or your community’s response to the virus.
- How are you personally responding to the virus? What has changed in your daily routine?
- How has your family been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic?
- How are you staying in touch with family and friends?
- What will you remember most about this time in our lives?
Feel free to make up your own questions!
What will happen to my audio/video file?
Once you contact us, we will ask you to fill out a brief, confidential consent form so that we can add your story to a permanent collection on Memorial University’s Digital Archives Initiative, where it can be seen and accessed for educational and non-commercial use only, and where it may be used as part of a future physical or online exhibit at The Rooms about the Covid-19 pandemic. Your story will become part of the historical record! If at some point you want your story taken down from the website, we can always remove your records from the archive.
For more information, contact:
Dale Jarvis, Heritage NL email@example.com
@dalejarvis on Twitter www.hfnl.ca
Did you recently receive a text message from NLESD? This is a service that grants permission to the school to send you messages via text. It is something that was scheduled to go out on March 13th but got delayed due to the pandemic. It is completely voluntary. We will still continue to send out school wide messages via phone, email, website and social media!