Questions about Covid-19 vaccination for those 12 and older?
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, we are unable to offer a school leaving Carnival for our Grade 9s as we have done in recent years. Instead, the Grade 9 classes were asked for their preference for a homeroom/cohort-based leaving activity. Based on their choices, each Grade 9 homeroom will have the opportunity to visit Front Line Paintball for a session of Laser Tag and Foam Archery. Permission forms were sent home with each Grade 9 student, and the form gives the scheduled activity time for the class. These forms, as well as a $25.00 payment to cover the cost of the activity and transportation, are asked to be returned to the office as soon as possible.
As well, each student who is attending has to have a waiver completed on their behalf by a parent or guardian. This waiver can be found by following this link.
The criteria for this award are as follows:
- Be a positive role model in the classroom
- Be a positive role model in any school-based activity
- Take a leadership role in curricular and co-curricular activities
- Maintain a good attendance/punctuality record
- Maintain a good academic standing
- Work to his/her academic potential
Students must write a 500 word essay on why they should be considered for this award referencing the above criteria. Students will be presented with a certificate and have their names permanently inscribed on the school Student Leadership tableau in front of the main office.
Click here to download an application, or stop by the main office to pick one up.
The deadline for application is Monday, June 7th.
The holy month of Ramadan has come to an end and the Muslim community is celebrating Eid-ul-Fitr. Eid Mubarak to all those in our MDJH community that are celebrating!
For those who are looking for more information on Eid al-Fitr, you might like this article from NewsELA:
A few updates to share with you:
- Wednesday (tomorrow), May 12, is a Professional Development day at MDJH. There will be no classes for students. Thursday will be Day 7.
- This year, MDJH is unable to host a Grade 9 leaving Carnival as in past years, but we are able to offer class cohorts a field trip to Frontline Action for laser tag and foam archery. The field trip will take place between June 14-18 at a cost of $25. Permission forms have been given to the Grade 9 students and we ask that they are returned by May 28.
- Please see our latest newsletter.
Our last Professional Development day will be on Monday, May 31. There will be no school for students on that day.
Thanks for your continuous support.
Send your answer to Mr. Lambert for a chance to win a prize!
TO: Families of 7-12 Students
FROM: Andrew Hickey, Assistant Director of Education-Programs (Avalon Region)
DATE: May 6, 2021
SUBJECT: YEAR END MESSAGE TO JUNIOR/SENIOR HIGH SCHOOLS – FAMILIES __________________________________________________________________________________
This memo is intended to provide direction for families of Junior and Senior High School students relative to the final days of instruction in June of 2021.
Schools will provide meaningful, engaging learning opportunities for all students up to and including the days prior to report card pick-up in the final week of school. Learning and instruction will not end when we normally would have at the beginning of an exam period. We expect all students to attend their classes.
It is important for students to know that learning will continue, and they will have every opportunity to improve their grades up to the end of instruction. Students will be able to demonstrate improved competency and this will be reflected on the final report distributed on the last day for students. How this looks in each school may be different as school teams consider opportunities to build rich learning activities for their students.
For the vast majority of schools, Thursday, June 24, is the scheduled pick-up day for report cards. Scenario 2 schools will have to use Wednesday, June 23, as well. Schools will communicate arrival and dismissal procedures in the near future.
Hello MacDonald Drive Community Members!! In partnership with NLEats and the Airport Heights Food Co, MDJH is hosting a Year-End Community Food Drive from Monday, May 17 to Friday, May 21, 2021! You will be thrilled to note that we are also partnering with Roncalli Elementary and Gonzaga High School as well! Any non-perishable food items donated can be dropped off in the mornings on the tables just inside the cafeteria. All donations will be going to local food banks in our community! This is a great time to clear out your cupboards and to donate to such a wonderful cause!
It’s not too late to order a 2021-22 MDJH Yearbook! If you would like to order online, go to ybpay.lifetouch.ca and enter the ID Code 11573721.
- We no longer have a homeroom period, instructional time begins at 8:05. It is more important than ever that students arrive on time for school.
- Food from Chartwells can ONLY be purchased through online ordering until 8am on the same morning, and will be brought to the class. Students will not be able to purchase food from Chartwells during the lunch period. Students can also bring a packed lunch from home.
Upcoming Professional Development Days and Holiday
- May 12 – PD day
- May 31 – PD day
- May 24 – Holiday