Here is the Chartwells cafeteria menu for 2019-2020.
For a downloadable copy, please click here.
Any student wishing to join our instrumental ensembles is asked to please complete the registration form (click here to download it) and submit it to Ms. Comerford asap. For more information about the program please see our music website or email Ms. Comerford.
The first school newsletter of the 2019-2020 school year is now ready for you!
Click here to view it!
Don’t forget – you can view newsletters from previous months (or years!) by visiting our School Newsletter page!
There is an upcoming meeting for anyone interested in coaching at MDJH in the 2019-2020 school year. The meeting will be on Tuesday, September 10th at 7pm in the LRC.
There will be a meeting on Wednesday, September 11th @ 7pm in the School library for Parents of Grade 9 students interested in participating in the Duke of Edinburgh program this year. Both Student and Parent must attend.
Here is an updated list of the MDJH bus routes. If there are any questions, please contact the school.
It’s hard to believe, but the 2019-20 School Year is right around the corner! We would like to welcome back our returning students, and give a great big welcome to our new Grade 7s! We hope you all have a successful year here at MDJH!
Our doors will be opening on Wednesday, September 4th, which will be Day 1 on the calendar. This will be a regular school day (no early dismissal!). The doors will be opening at the regular time of 7:45am, and there will be regular bus runs. Students are asked to please enter the school through the Bus (side) Entrance, not the Main Entrance.
Grade 7s are asked to proceed to the cafeteria, where they will be greeted and divided into their new homerooms. Grade 8 and 9 students are asked to check the class lists which will be posted outside the Office, and head to their homerooms. Homeroom period will begin at the regular time of 8:05am.
There will be full cafeteria service starting on the first day of classes.
For a recommended School Supply List, click here.
If you are looking for more information on the daily schedule, click here.
If you want to see the school year at a glance, click here for the 2019-20 MDJH School Calendar.
Information on bus routes can be found by clicking here.
The MDJH School Council (2018-19) has prepared a list of questions and answers that parents of our incoming Grade 7 students may have about life here at MDJH. While no list of this sort can be totally comprehensive, we hope this will answer your most pressing questions.
- What is the daily schedule?
- MDJH works on a 7 days cycle with 5 periods per day.
- Our doors open at 7:45 with first bell at 8:05. We dismiss at 2:10.
- How do I find out my child’s teachers?
- Sign on to PowerSchool and all of your child’s teachers will be listed with their email links. (note that this is only after school has started and PowerSchool login info is sent home.)
- What is the best way toreach of my child’s teachers?
- Email. All email addresses are available at our school web site (mdjh.info) OR from PowerSchool. The teacher’s’ name is a link to the email address.
- Email is best, as teachers cannot come to the phone when in class. However, you may call and leave a message.
- Can I speak to my child’s teachers prior to the start of the school year?
- Teachers are not required to be in attendance until the first day of school.
- Is there a supply list? Do I need to buy anything before the first day of school?
- Can the students leave school grounds at lunch?
- Yes. If they are responsible and respectful to our food establishments and respect traffic.
- Are there Final Exams? When Are Final Exams?
- Yes, we have Final Exams in English, Math and Science in Grades 7, 8 and 9.
- Exams are usually over 3 days and are set for second last week of the school year. For 2019-2020 school year that would be June 17, 18, 19.
- How do I find out information about Bus Routes? How do I find out if I am eligible for busing?
- What extracurricular activities are available to my child? Clubs? Sports?
- Yes. There are over 30 sports teams and many clubs. For a full list of teams visit our web site.
- Are there tutorials if needed?
- There is Math Help every Monday form 2:15-3:15.
- Teachers make themselves available on a case by case basis.
- Whom do I contact if my child has a documented exceptionality?
- Our Guidance Counsellors.
- Is there a breakfast program?
- Yes. There is a Breakfast program run by our parent volunteers and overseen by Karen Walsh, Parent and Daisy Hardy, Assistant Principal.
- Is there a lunch program or cafeteria?
- Chartwells is our Recess and Lunch provider. A copy of the Menu is available on our web site.
- Is there a school council and how would I be able to be a part of it?
- Yes , there is a School Council. Information will be sent home the first week of school looking for School Council members.
- How does the school communicate with parents?
- Monthly newsletters
- School messenger
- Homework page/ teacher webpages
- What is PowerSchool and how do I access it?
- PowerSchool is the program we use to highlight attendance, grades and contact information with staff. In September, parents/ guardians will be given their login information to access PowerSchool.
- Will my child have a locker and do I need to provide a lock for him/her?
- Yes. Students in grade 7 & 8 share lockers.
- The school provides either a 3 digit combination lock or 3 digit letter lock.
- What volunteer opportunities are available for parents?
- We are always looking for parent volunteers for our sports teams, extra curricular clubs, breakfast program and library. Drop by the office for more information.
- ALL volunteers must have a current Vulnerable Sector and Code of Conduct.
- Does the school have a cell phone policy?
- Unless specifically being used in a lesson, ALL cell phones (electronics) are collected in a basket at the beginning of class.
- Does the school have a dress code?
- Yes, there is a dress code. It asks that students do not wear any clothing that advertises tobacco, alcohol or drug paraphernalia.
- Lunch? How does it work? Can accounts be set up with Chartwells?
- Lunch is from 11:21am to 12:08pm, with first bell at 12:10pm.
- Students are permitted to leave school grounds with parent/ guardian permission.
- Chartwells also is our lunch provider. The menu is available online.
- Chartwell Zipthru provides cards that parents/ guardians can load $ online or in person for food to purchase.
Please note that individual teachers may also add to this list.
- Loose Leaf paper
- Duotangs – different colours
- HB Pencils
- Exercise books, preferably no coil
- Liquid paper
- Coloured leads
- Graphing paper
- Math Set
- 1 inch binders for Core Subjects
- French English Dictionary
- 555 French Verbs