From Ross Elliott, Program Manager, Turning Points and Entrepreneurial Adventure, NL:
As you are well aware, this year classes were suspended prior to the deadline for submission of student essays. This means, I expect, that many students might have been beginning, or in the middle of, completing their essays, while others may not have yet begun.
At TLP, we have been thinking about ways in which we might be able to support your efforts as teachers to provide opportunities for student learning in our current circumstances. Some of the examples of teacher/school initiatives that have been shared in the media in NL are indeed inspiring, and I am sure there are many others that we have not heard about.
In light of this, and in consultation with the school district, TLP is offering the following opportunity which, with minimal involvement by teachers, could provide an interesting opportunity for interested students:
- The deadline for essay submission for Turning Points will be extended to the end of Monday, April 27th.
- Students will submit their essays directly to the TLP site from their home. They would simply need to visit this link, https://www.thelearningpartnership.ca/programs/turning-points/essay-submission and complete the form to submit their essays.
- There will be no need for judging at the school level as in the past. I have organized a group of very competent/experienced judges who will review all essays submitted. This means that if you have 20 or even more students who submit essays, these essays are welcomed and will be judged by TLP.
- Assuming that there are sufficient entries from each of the four regions in NLESD, the prize/recognition structure will be the same as in other years.
- It is pretty obvious to us that there will not be a celebration event this year. However, we can find other ways for public recognition, possibly at individual school celebrations in the fal